Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Is the Cash Surrender Value of an Insurance Policy taxable?

Proceeds from the death of the insured are tax-exempt. However, if you cash in a policy early, you may have taxable income.

You should receive a Form 1099-R showing the total proceeds and the taxable part. Report these amounts on lines 16a and 16b of Form 1040.